TORONTO, May 20, 2016 – The Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research today announces the recipients of its premier Innovation Fund grand competition, with awardees spread across The Hospital for Sick Children, University Health Network and the University of Toronto.
This fund is the Centre’s major investment in innovative therapies and approaches that carry the greatest potential in transforming the care of heart failure patients.
The Innovation Fund’s 2016 recipients are:
1. Multifactorial Immune Cell Based Development of Non-Ischemic Cardiomyopathy (UHN, U of T)
– Slava Epelman, MD, PhD (Collaborators: Tania Watts, PhD, and Boris Hinz, PhD)
2. Development of a novel device for treatment of failing Fontan circulation (SickKids, U of T)
– Osami Honjo, MD (Collaborators: Lucy Roche, MD; Cristina Amon, ScD, P.Eng; Thomas Forbes, MD)
3. Functional analysis of novel regulators of cardiac function using the zebrafish model (SickKids, U of T)
– Ian Scott, PhD; Anthony Gramolini, PhD (co-applicants)
All projects must involve collaboration with partners of complementary expertise, and demonstrate that they are leveraging and developing the best ideas, technologies and methodologies available.